Klamath Film Makers Group
Filming of 'Footloose' at the Ragland - Printable Version

+- Klamath Film Makers Group (http://klamathfilm.org/forums)
+-- Forum: KFMG Forum (http://klamathfilm.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: KFMG Productions (http://klamathfilm.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: KFMG Projects (http://klamathfilm.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Thread: Filming of 'Footloose' at the Ragland (/showthread.php?tid=99)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Filming of 'Footloose' at the Ragland - Art and Structure - 08-07-2012

This is the first project of it's kind for the "Proposed Projects" but Wayne has informed me Chip Massie (the director) is interested in finding someone to film the performance(s) of 'Footloose' running this weekend and next.

This is a great opportunity for KFMG to get some filming experience as easy as just being there to capture it. All the other work is done courtesy of the RRT production. Smile It would give us some exposure, make great contact with another local arts group and possibly lead to future projects with the Ragland or others, which could bring income into KFMG. This is fundraising and promotion rolled into one and handed on a platter to us.

Jason has already expressed interest and could at least use an assistant (Matt? Cliff?). Unfortunately I will be out of town this weekend and am stretched thin right now, but I will see what I can do about being available for next weekend's performances as I wanted to see it and support Wayne anyway. This is something which should be shot over several performances in order to get a variety of performances and footage for a solid edit. I should be able to make at least 1 performance, possibly 2 or 3 to assist.

Wayne, can you chime in and tell Jason and the rest of us how we should contact Chip Massie and get this thing underway?

Jesse Widener

RE: Filming of Linkville's 'Footloose' at the Ragland - Matt Roemer - 08-07-2012

I'm available this weekend, I don't have any recording equipment but I can help out this weekend. I'm going to be out of town from the 16th to at least the 25th so I can't help out on the second weekend.

RE: Filming of Linkville's 'Footloose' at the Ragland - Art and Structure - 08-07-2012

Great. Matt, Jason, communicate. Smile

I also have my miniDV camera, tripod and power cord to loan if another camera can be used. The more the merrier, and again I will try to make myself available to shoot 1-3 performances next week.

Wayne, does the Ragland have camera equipment for use?

Also audio may be tricky, but getting a recording of any sound run through the Ragland's system could be greatly beneficial.

Jesse Widener

RE: Filming of Linkville's 'Footloose' at the Ragland - tcooley - 08-07-2012

Hi Gang, Tom here in Salt Lake City. The project of filming "Footloose" is a good one. I did the Ragland shoots for years. I'm very happy to hear it's coming your way.

Question: This should not be a Linkville production as stated but a Ross Ragland Theater Production. Check on that. They are two different theaters.

Okay, as I said, I did those all by myself for years. Here is a little good advice on stage shows. DON'T just show up and shot the show, sight unseen. Go to the dress rehearsals and just sit and watch it. As many times as you can. Formalize yourself with the action so you know the show and when people are coming on and off. See where the action is.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS. If shooting more then one camera. (I would sometimes shoot up to four cameras, off my own during each performance.) ALWAYS keep one camera wide, full stage. NEVER tighten the shot, that is zoom in. That way, you have a safety shot of the whole stage to drop back to when the other camera(s) are zooming, panning and so forth.

Get side shots from both sides of the stage. Two cameras each side. One wide, one to follow the action. That’s in the roped off boxes on stage right and left. There are power outlets for both boxes easy to get to. Do that early in the run. Yes, you will not be able to see about a quarter of the stage from each box, but that’s why you shot both sides.

The last two runs of the show are normally the best. Plan to use those as your masters.

TAKE A COUPLE OF LONG POWER CABLES PLUS A POWER STRIP FOR EACH CABLE WHEN SHOTTING FROM THE CENTER CROSS OVER ISLE. Getting power there can come of the audio unit, but be safe. You may have to run the power cables from the outlets BELOW the bottom row of boxes.

If you can get sound off the audio main mixing broad, do it,

Once you start rolling (Shooting) NEVER pause or shut the camera off. It will mess up your synching with the other cameras on that shoot. Stop them, naturally for the intermission. Remember that after the curtain closes, they keep playing in the pit. Plus be ready to take the camera off the tripod and stand with it if there is a standing ovation. If you don’t, you’ll get nothing but people’s backs.

If I can help in any other way, from why out here in Salt Lake City, let me know.

Oh and who ever is doing the editing, remember to get two copies of the program so you can credit to all the folks who put the show on. Plus take a still camera and get some shots to use as background for the opening and closing titles.

Have fun with it. I wish I could be there to help.

Tom

RE: Filming of Linkville's 'Footloose' at the Ragland - Art and Structure - 08-07-2012

Thank you for the advice, Tom. This is all short notice...the performances start this week, so we will see what we can do, but your points are valuable and we appreciate them.

Jesse Widener

RE: Filming of Linkville's 'Footloose' at the Ragland - Wayne Sweat - 08-08-2012

Tonight's rehearsal begins at 6 pm, but there will people at the theater before then. I believe one group starts at 4 pm today. Opening curtain for the first act was about 8 pm last night. Rehearsal last night ended around 11:30. Not everyone involved needs to be present at all times.
Tomorrow is the last dress rehearsal. The first live performance is this Fri., then Saturday & Sunday.
We have another rehearsal scheduled for next Wednesday and the final three performances are next Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
My camera/tripod is connected to the house video system and feeding a TV backstage for the performers to watch when possible between performances. As Tom said, at least three cameras would be ideal (not including mine, which I think will need to be panned because of how wide the stage is set).
Of equal importance is does anyone have editing software and the knowledge of how to use it, I don't?

RE: Filming of Linkville's 'Footloose' at the Ragland - Wayne Sweat - 08-08-2012

Tom if you're there... The stage is set wide (heck, at one point, performers will be in the audience area). All but the very front wing curtains have been removed and the stage is broken into three large areas; center stage (a large tri-level platform down stage and (20?) people in 4 deep chorus line and then actors extreme upstage, a large catwalk between center stage platform and stage right platform), stage left (which has a band stand (the singer is a character too), and stage right (which has a platform and walled set), then at the front right wing curtain a scene.
My camera (set at 16:9?) is on a tripod to the left of sound table (from the sound man's perspective), but when focused center stage on wide angle, I loose about 15' on either side of the stage.
My camera is presently connected to the house A/V feed to a TV backstage, next to the big doors for live viewing of the performance by the cast/crew when possible between appearances. My thought is, as this camera is not being used to record (at least to my knowledge it can't perform both functions at the same time, but I frankly don't know if it can or not), that we need a camera person to follow the action if it's all to be seen.
Suggestions please?

There are more than 50 people involved as cast, crew and band in this performance. Some of these people have considerable experience and in my opinion talent (then there's the rest of us that are new and have an enormous learning curve ahead). It is my understanding that the Ross Ragland Theater has a considerable amount of money invested in this project. We've heard that there's a buzz in the community about this project. I've heard it myself, from a stranger on one occasion, let alone from people that I know. The cast has been working on this for 6 weeks or so, the band three months and I wouldn't fathom a guess on how long the directors have been at it. And we're down to the wire. Thursday we'll perform before a live audience. Anyone involved must act maturely and professionally. Any disruptive behavior at this point would probably get someone reamed at least, if not asked to leave.
This project should be fun for anyone that wants to learn more about camera work, lighting, etc. and afford some experience on what happens in the theater to those that don't already have some. Also, if anyone's interested in networking with people in theater, or perhaps to meet actors/actresses, dancers/choreographers, singers, costumers, hair/makeup, etc. for future projects; here's a great opportunity. Chip Massie (the director) has mentioned that maybe we could sell copies of the recording for $5. I wonder if we could use this opportunity for a fund-raiser and to serve as a public benefit in accordance with our charter.
If anyone has fun, and does a good job, then there may be an opportunity to do this again during future performances. Me personally. If I weren't behind the scenes this time, I would prefer to do this type of project to raise money to be used to set-up KFMG's non-profit status legally, then afterwards perhaps equipment, production costs, etc. rather than putting on a car wash. You don't want to see me in a bikini, lol.
So who's in?
Questions?

Another fund raising idea.
I wonder if we have a good photographer in the group with good printing equipment, if the group would cover production costs, could we get authorization to offer pictures for sale of the cast/crew in costume on stage? For example, one picture of the performer in a pose, a second one with mom & dad, a third with friends in the cast, then a group shot with the entire cast. Crew members might also like pictures individually, with family, etc.. We would definitely need authorization from the director of the RRT and the director of the play; but before I ask, please let me know if anyone's interested and has the equipment to do a professional looking job.

Earlier I posted " Chip Massie (the director) has mentioned that maybe we could sell copies of the recording for $5. I wonder if we could use this opportunity for a fund-raiser and to serve as a public benefit in accordance with our charter." If we have someone with editing software that is willing and able to this, and if we film the production is $5 enough for our costs? I've been to events at resorts that sell recordings at a considerably higher cost. I would like to have estimate costs of purchasing the cased cd's (online I see a price of about $1.40 per cased cd but I don't know if that product is sufficient) and the production expenses. Who ever is involved is also using their gas. I don't know if the price is negotiable, but before we make a long term arrangement, we should understand our costs to determine if there's a benefit. Or would we be better donating our saved gas money to the group and not filming.