Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Basement - Halloween film contest
So, Pat came up with the initial idea of a "found-footage" type film where some people hear about a haunted house, and go investigate it, documenting it with a video camera. Perhaps someone goes missing, etc.
I took that idea and kind of ran with it.

Since I don't think I'll get a chance to make up and print out a script, I think I'll just post the overall idea here.

The shot starts with a guy sitting in his car, adjusting it so he's in the shot. He's parked in Veteran's Park parking lot. He says something along the lines of "So, we're meeting up to go check out this house up on the hill that we heard is haunted. I'll introduce you to everybody."

He gets out of the car, and there's several people standing there waiting for him, and he introduces each person. Some people can react by simply saying hi, others act camera shy, or ask him if he's "seriously filming this." (I want to keep it varied, but not so varied that it sounds scripted. Also, for the sake of improv, I think we can just use our own real first names).
Maybe someone can show up a little late; I think it might add to the realism.

So they all get introduced and then pile into cars and head up the hill. Maybe a passenger in the car can be filming, asking everyone what they think or expect. They get to the house, and the front door is locked. So they go down and around to the back door/basement door. After a few seconds of snooping, they realize somebody's missing. Then they see a dark figure with a plain white face come out from a back door way. Everyone freaks out, the camera guy drops the camera (obviously we won't actually drop it, but make it look frantically dropped in editing) and you hear their voices fade out. The creepy figure walks up to the camera, picks it up, and removes the mask to reveal the person that went missing, saying something like "man, you guys should've seen the looks on your faces."

(There's a final creepy twist after that, but I don't want to reveal it here.)
"Our films don't get finished, they just get released."
John Lasseter
I just got a reply from Pat saying he is interested in directing this and I think he should since it is his idea and he could use the experience. I will help out, as well, but will leave things to Pat. I can then edit something together and upload it to YouTube privately and post it here so people can critique it before I submit it.

I will be at my parents' when we are to head out and film it, so I will need a ride from there to the filming locale and back.
Ban reason: Continued bashing of others only hinders you. Please just make films! (Permanent)
No problem. I can give you a ride, and have no problem letting Pat direct it.
"Our films don't get finished, they just get released."
John Lasseter
All right, sounds good. I can edit something together on Tuesday or Wednesday and get it submitted before the 15th.
Ban reason: Continued bashing of others only hinders you. Please just make films! (Permanent)
Today's shoot went well. I will work on editing it this week. It will not take long since I will only use two shots. I will post a link to its private YouTube page when I have something edited and people can tell me where it needs improvement. Oh, and I think we will call it The Basement. Is this okay with everyone?
I am glad you guys are getting it done. I look forward to seeing it.

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com
Can't wait to see how it turned out!
Here it is:

It took me about thirty minutes to get it from the camera, into Final Cut, and edited. I did some fancy editing so we can see Cliff. Let me know if you want anything changed or if you like it as is.
Great!

One question. At the end when Cliff picks up the camera, why is the image light and less contrasty? Otherwise, great job folks and get it submitted.

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com
I am glad you liked it. I did that with Cliff at the end because, otherwise, you cannot see him at all.