Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My sketch comedy show Olyphant Express
Video 
I wrote a two-person version of this since I was bored, and Jon and I filmed it the past two Fridays. It looks really good and I'm giving it the final touches now. I may submit it to the festival if I like it enough. I don't have anything else I want to submit yet (the slasher and Gang of Loopers are my other hopefuls), so we'll see. If I like it well enough, I will not upload Episode .5 to YouTube until after the festival.

This is basically a show in the same vein as Monty Python's Flying Circus. Right now, I'm the only writer, but I'm looking to get other people involved with writing it. If you want to write something, we will need to work together to integrate it into the show as it's not just "sketch sketch sketch" it's "sketch link-in-sketch sketch". I have episode one done, but I would love to have more group members writing for this for future episodes. While you may write for episode two, I will not accept anything until episode one is filmed. I'd rather not get a million scripts unfilmed. I already have enough of that.

Here be the intro to the show:
Olyphant Express Intro

I have attached the script of the first episode to this post.

I think this will be a fun project and I shouldn't need more than seven people to make it all happen, provided people want to donate that much time to the show. This will take some doing at 45 pages, and I need some locations, but it should be fun.

I would also love to make this a consistent project with churning out episodes and not just one episode. Sure, people may get tired of doing my sketch comedy show, but there are no deadlines (save for film festivals and their ilk) so we can always put it on the back-burner. I want to keep doing episodes is so the group always has something to work on. I think this will encourage group members being more active and so we consistently have something fresh to show to group hopefuls. If we only show the Demon of Black Death trailer and The Bridge over and over, people will lose interest in the group because that shows we are doing nothing new. I understand we have a lot of behind-the-scenes aspects to work out much sooner rather than later, but hopefully we get that all, or almost all, settled in July.

Update: I accidentally wiped my editing files, but I hardly edited anything for the show, and it is rather simple edits, anyway, so I will work on that this week, unless my animated film takes up my time. This also means I had to redo the intro, which I did. It is now 11 seconds and much smoother. I like it more, too. So, I will continue work on this over the course of the next two months and see where it is at. I doubt we will be able to show it at the festival because there is a 99.9% chance it will be longer than 25 minutes and I do not feel like cutting anything.

Attached Files
.doc   Olyphant Express Episode 1.doc (Size: 144.5 KB / Downloads: 1)
.doc   Olyphant Express Episode One Sketches.doc (Size: 18 KB / Downloads: 0)
Ban reason: Continued bashing of others only hinders you. Please just make films! (Permanent)
Jason,

I think the animation is fine up to the point where the titled photo zooms in from the middle. I think that element is inconsistent with the look and feel of the rest of the animation and would not include it.

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com
Okay, I'll make the adjustment when I get home.
Ban reason: Continued bashing of others only hinders you. Please just make films! (Permanent)
I thought it was fine. Jason, is it just me, or do you have a fascination for staplers? Tongue
"Our films don't get finished, they just get released."
John Lasseter
Well, Cliff, because my first major production was Case of the Missing Stapler, I've decided to incorporate staplers where ever I can. So, yeah, I guess I do have a fascination with staplers. I just know not why.
Now that I am done with Sewer Stench Slaughterer, I thought I would push this project. I know where I want to film each scene except the Crocodile Hunter style scene because I cannot remember if Moore Park or Veteran's Park is on the lake. Now, I know there are a lot of characters, but with it being a sketch comedy show, people can play multiple roles and it will not be too strange. I am playing 12 characters, for instance, and I need to fill the remaining 22 roles, which can be done with six or seven people. So, let me know if you be interested in acting in my sketched comedy show!
Depending when I may be up to help out... Also, both Veteran and Moore Park are on a lake. Moore Parks Marina is on Klamath and Veteran is on Euwanna Lake.

Shibby
That works. I am thinking we will use Moore Park, then.

We can flesh out the details at the next meeting. I want people to read the script over and see what characters or crew positions interest them.
The cool thing about Moore Park is they have that dock that goes out into the lake like 20 feet. So with proper angles you could film a shot from out in the lake looking in at the shore...
I thought so, but I was not sure. One sketch involves what I call potatoers, and they lounge around just observing, and they flock to water, so I would love to film that bit at Moore Park on one of the docks.