Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filming 'Les Miserables' at the Ragland
Yes, and it is amazingly clear compared to the handicam work we've done before, even though I generally kept the focus consistent rather than following in and out (which would have made it even sharper).

It looks good enough I think we should consider burning a BluRay for our records, and perhaps offer a BluRay upgrade to cast and crew if it turns out good enough.

I also haven't verified all the sales yet, but it is by far our best seller. We are around 100 units (yes you all can do the math...between this and Little Mermaid we should easily be able to get an editing station, Final cut, and possibly have enough left to get a Group DSLR, even after the Ragland's percentage).

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com
I have organized/renamed the files logically. The second half, which Kegan and Matt will edit, is about 55GB. I was going to separate it further for each of them, but there is some carryover between files from different shows. I did time it though, and the halfway point in the second half is approximately at the end of the lengthy barricade scene when Jean ValJean escapes into the sewer and Javert follows. The beginning of the sewer scene would mark the beginning of the second chunk to edit.

I will get the files to Matt and Kegan when I can.

Jesse Widener
Music 
Hi Jesse, if you have access to a gmail or outlook email account, you can upload the footage and share using the cloud drive. Chunks could be sent this way or we can pick up flashdrives sometime.
“The film [Stalker] needs to be slower and duller at the start so that the viewers who walked into the wrong theatre have time to leave before the main action starts.”
― Andrei Tarkovsky
Hello Kegan.

I will try to get physical copies to you and Matt. I just settled on a general mix of the audio I am reasonably satisfied with last night, and will mix the audio down to single files per show tonight. When we are on a single editing platform it will be easier to leave the audio recordings separate for more flexible editing further down the process, but that would be too complicated and potentially troublesome to attempt across multiple platforms at this point.

Jesse Widener
A heads up to Matt and Kegan for editing...This project is confirming something I noticed while shooting Roll, namely, the 80-200mm is amazingly sharp. Although the 50mm has a good reputation, once you see the tele footage it is like night and day. I suggest looking to Camera A to start with, and use Camera B when necessary to fill gaps or context. Remember also, Show 5 Camera B is the ultrawide getting a static view of the whole stage in case you need context for a lot going on at once across the stage.

Jesse Widener
I am working around the 20 minute mark now, and getting a better handle on dealing with the amount of footage. I have cleared a good deal of time for the next week or two and expect to get a really good jump through this weekend...I would like to have an edit to preview with Matt and Kegan by the end of next week, so I also ask them to aim for the end of next week for a rough edit as well. We are long on this already due to Little Mermaid and Film Festival (we took on a lot!) so I'd like to grind it out.

As an aside, have Matt and Kegan clearly decided who is doing which part of the second half?

Looks good so far!

Jesse Widener
Yeah we decided that I'm doing the second half of the second half.
A heads up to the editors, the musical numbers are consistent enough in many places to mix audio and video from differing shows if needed to break up shots or add some spice. It is easiest to layer video from a chorus onto audio from another show as the lip syncing is more forgiving, but I've also successfully layered some solo bits.

Jesse Widener
Almost halfway done with my edit. Still on track to have a rough edit done by Friday.

Jesse Widener
I am editing around the hour mark and haven't had to fall back on the wide stage shot. I know I will just before the intermission, but so far there is enough other footage to work with.

Jesse Widener