Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Serious Film Noir
I brought up filming some of my scripts at last night's OTB meeting (OTB is OIT's film group), and they're open to looking at scripts and working on filming something. As we were discussing my scripts, Dylan, the head of OTB, said he would like me to write something serious to "stretch my mind". Well, I just started work on a film noir that promises to be a serious film. I've got a page of the outline done, and I'm working on getting more. It will take a few people, but it should be doable. I will keep the group updated. I'm making this post so people know why I'm not working on other projects, I felt like sharing, and as a placeholder when I get something fleshed out.

Updated 3/27: I just finished a new draft of the script, starting from scratch, and have attached it here. Let me know if you want a role or not. There are only five, and I think I know who Chief will be, so the roles may go quick. I will not be acting in this as part of my dedication to not acting in my films. Cat and the Mice and Wizards Sailing will be my self-directed swan songs. Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think.

Characters (5)
Detective Frank Stevenson -
Sergeant Philip Baker -
Officer William Barker -
Chief Fredrick Ferguson -
Cutting Carl -

I will be going over it again soon and make changes of my own, but feel free to look at the first draft and let me know what you think. It is 45 pages, at least in Pages, though it may change for Word.

Attached Files
.docx   Man with the Crimson Blade Script.docx (Size: 26.49 KB / Downloads: 1)
Ban reason: Continued bashing of others only hinders you. Please just make films! (Permanent)
Sounds good. Keep us updated. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com
Will do. I currently have 4 pages of the plot written, and I'll be adding to that soon.
Ban reason: Continued bashing of others only hinders you. Please just make films! (Permanent)
I love film noir! Keep me posted, I'm interested.
"Our films don't get finished, they just get released."
John Lasseter
I just finished the plot to my film noir, and it's attached to this post. I'm open to all comments on it from saying what works and what doesn't work to confusing sentences. I tried to make it detailed, but it may not be detailed enough for some people, so I'll explain it if you want clarification.

For the law firm, I was hoping to use the Medical Dental Building where Wayne's office is. We won't need to be in it much, but there is a bit in the law firm and also in the police station. I'm thinking we can use it for both and the inside shoots won't take long.

As for people, I haven't counted, but I know for certain I need around 10. I may act in it, but I haven't decided. Let me know if you be interested.

Now, don't read too far into it if you're still on the fence about helping out because there is a twist at the end and I don't want it to be spoiled. So, if you know you're going to help out, read the whole thing, but only read the up to page 3 or 4 if you're not sure.
I'd love to help with this one in any capacity I could.
Awesome, Matt! I will keep the group posted on my progress. I have yet to start the script, and I may go over the plot again to see if I should tighten or change anything, but keep a sharp eye out. I will need a fair share of actors, so if we pull the right strings when I finish the script, we can go through the Herald and News to find some talent. I will also discuss it with OTB next week to see what they think. Again, Matt and Cliff, I'm glad you want to be on board, so keep checking this thread for further details.
I have downloaded the story writeup and will give it a read when I can give it my attention.

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com
I like the overall concept, it's simple yet effective I think. Are you hoping for Richard and Jenkins to be played by older men? I'd be willing to play just about any part in this, even the young man in a blue shirt with a mustache. (Although I don't like growing a mustache...maybe it could be a young man in a blue shirt with a small beard? Would that be open for discussion?) Also, are you dead-set on the names? I was wondering if you would be open to discussion or suggestions for the killers' aliases.
"Our films don't get finished, they just get released."
John Lasseter
I'm glad you like it, Cliff! Jenkins I want older, but Richard would be fine in his 20s. Some of the details, such as the mustache or beard for the man in the blue shirt, are open for discussion, but I don't want anything major changed because then I'd have to rework a lot. The names can also be discussed further, but I do like the names I've given the characters, so they may stay the same. I am very bad at names, so I always feel good when I've got a name for a character. Given that this film is early in production, I am open to some minor changes, but I am, as per usual, stubborn when it comes to changing bigger aspects. We should discuss it in further detail at this month's meeting.