Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Untitled Post-Apocalypse Project
I've got this script in the works, and if the final project turns out the way I want it to, I want to make this a short-film trilogy. But I need a ton of props and costuming. Here's some of what I need:

-old military surplus jackets
-scarves
-riding goggles
-surplus backpacks
-biker jackets
-biker gloves
-respiratory masks
-fake blood/wounds/scars
-overalls

There's a shoot-out towards the beginning, and I'm hoping to use real firearms with blank cartridges. If anyone knows where I can get blanks for dirt cheap, let me know. (Preferably 7.62x39, 9mm, and.357)

Now, as far as casting, this is what I need so far:

-2-3 Hillbilly looking dudes (or women, either way)
-Some people with physical disfigurements (one or two of these characters will have lines)
-A woman in her mid-30's to mid-40's, physically capable with a strong demeanor
-A woman (or man, but preferably a woman) age 55 or older

I am still working on the script, but I figured the quicker I can get this stuff going, the better.
"Our films don't get finished, they just get released."
John Lasseter
(11-04-2015, 10:47 PM)CFoster316 Wrote: There's a shoot-out towards the beginning, and I'm hoping to use real firearms with blank cartridges. If anyone knows where I can get blanks for dirt cheap, let me know. (Preferably 7.62x39, 9mm, and.357)

David West is probably the person you want to talk to for info on cheap blanks. On the 7.62x39, are you certain blanks will cycle the specific firearm you'll be using? SKS, AK-47, AR-15 chambered in 7.62 (and piston operated or gas impingement?), or other? If you're not sure, David is probably your guy for info on that also.

It sounds like it would be a fairly good idea to have an armorer on-set, since you're using real firearms capable of chambering live ammo. This should be a person you designate to handle the weapons and ammo. Generally, industry practice is to have no live ammo on-set in any caliber that can be chambered by the weapons, and only the armorer handles the weapons when not being used by the actors.
(11-05-2015, 05:16 AM)RNiemi Wrote: On the 7.62x39, are you certain blanks will cycle the specific firearm you'll be using? SKS, AK-47, AR-15 chambered in 7.62 (and piston operated or gas impingement?), or other?

The firearm in mind is my SKS. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "cycle the specific firearm"? I, personally, have never worked with blanks before (aside from Civil War Reenacting, but that's a whole different ball game).

(11-05-2015, 05:16 AM)RNiemi Wrote: It sounds like it would be a fairly good idea to have an armorer on-set, since you're using real firearms capable of chambering live ammo. This should be a person you designate to handle the weapons and ammo.

Agreed, and I already have someone in mind if he is available.

(11-05-2015, 05:16 AM)RNiemi Wrote: Generally, industry practice is to have no live ammo on-set in any caliber that can be chambered by the weapons, and only the armorer handles the weapons when not being used by the actors.

Right. I have no intention of having any live ammo on set. And yes, the armorer would be the only one handling the firearms.

Honestly, I think trickier than any of this would be getting permissions to film such a scene within city limits, in areas where there may be bystanders.
John Lasseter
(11-05-2015, 12:00 PM)CFoster316 Wrote: The firearm in mind is my SKS. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "cycle the specific firearm"? I, personally, have never worked with blanks before (aside from Civil War Reenacting, but that's a whole different ball game).

Yeah, for a gas-operated semi auto, there needs to be enough gas pressure to operate the action. Unless you only need one shot and don't care if the casing ejects. Normally this happens as a fired bullet is travelling down the barrel with a lot of gas pressure behind the bullet. With no bullet with a fired blank, the gas pressure achieved is much lower and probably insufficient to cycle the action. For some firearms you can find a BFA (Blank Firing Adapter) which restricts the muzzle to increase the pressure in the barrel when firing blanks.

I bounced the question off David West for you as I have limited SKS familiarity. David's response: "No. Pretty much no semi-automatic will cycle blanks without a BFA. The SKS BFA is super easily disguised, though."

(11-05-2015, 12:00 PM)CFoster316 Wrote: Honestly, I think trickier than any of this would be getting permissions to film such a scene within city limits, in areas where there may be bystanders.

I think this part will prove very difficult though. Anticipate that a film permit will come with a requirement to obtain a $2 million liability insurance policy (which I'd estimate as costing somewhere between $500 and $1500 depending on what you're doing and for how long), plus whatever the city decides to charge for the permit. I normally tell indie filmmakers to just fly under the radar when it comes to film permits, but with discharging firearms within the city limits being prohibited, I suspect this scenario will attract attention.

Can you fake it and film those parts outside the city limits? Narrow depth-of-field to the rescue?
Example eBay auction for a SKS BFA, but double-check that the threads are correct for your SKS:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKS-BFA-7-62x39-...1140825826
About the shootout, would it work to use airsoft guns and a bit of post? I'm also asking for my sake, though I haven't the foggiest how they work.
Ban reason: Continued bashing of others only hinders you. Please just make films! (Permanent)
(11-05-2015, 03:13 PM)RNiemi Wrote: Can you fake it and film those parts outside the city limits? Narrow depth-of-field to the rescue?

Possibly? Or maybe the shoot out can simply take place outside of city limits.

(11-05-2015, 11:37 PM)Jason_Boese Wrote: About the shootout, would it work to use airsoft guns and a bit of post? I'm also asking for my sake, though I haven't the foggiest how they work.

Airsoft could work for some of the guns, however I have a rather old, worn out SKS that really nails the aesthetic I'm going for. I also want to do as little in post as possible.
John Lasseter
Cliff, what do you have in mind for the setting/locale? Is this something you might want to use Northridge Estates for?
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com
I have several spots in and around town that I have in mind for certain scenes. Now that we've discussed the logistics and legalities of filming in town, I'm thinking of filming the shootout scene out at my family's property in Langell Valley.
John Lasseter
Sounds good. Keep us posted. As always, let me know if there's anything you need help with.
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com