Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filming of 'Footloose' at the Ragland
I can film the performances and edit them together once the filming is finished.

As for selling the finished DVDs, it does sound like a good opportunity and worthwhile endeavor, but there is the cost of DVD-Rs and the fact burning takes a while. That said, I would gladly burn some for selling to the Klamath populace to get some money flowing in for the group. Wayne, as you wondered, would $5 be enough? I would rather go for an asking price of $8 to $10, but I would like more opinions on this before we commit to doing so.

Jesse is a professional photographer, so he could do some shoots for the cast and crew who want them, but he is hard pressed for time, so I do not know if we would want to put that much time into taking photos for the players.
Ban reason: Continued bashing of others only hinders you. Please just make films! (Permanent)
If anyone was interested and available to attend tonight's rehearsal, I'll be there before 6 pm until rehearsal ends. I won't have my cell phone with me so I'll be unavailable electronically.
To the right of the main entrance doors of the theater is a gate that should be open. In the courtyard you'll find three sets of doors on the ground level. Enter the large double doors in the middle and ask for myself or Chip Massie (the director).
Okay, first, double check with Chip about the idea of selling copies to those not in the cast and crew. That could become a HUGE problem for the theater and KFMG if there are copyright rules and there normally are. Chip may have been talking about selling ONLY to the Cast and Crew. Plus give a free copy to the Ragland for their archives. If the theater has copyright okay to do it, hard as this sounds, get a letter in writing to cover your behinds. Normally I got $15 to $20 for each copy of past programs. I NEVER sold to the public. I was not allowed to. Don't brake that trust. It's a lot of work putting it all back together and it takes time. $5!!! I feel your underselling yourselves. After you get the orders, buy the CD disks and cases, plus if your mailing them out, envelopes and each one will cost about $1.50 to mail. You will find your profit is cut more then half at $5. Get a clipboard and have a sign up sheet with name, address and phone. ASK FOR THE MONEY UP FRONT!!! If you don't, I know for a fact people will forget and or stiff you when it comes time to collect and you'll be left holding a bunch of DVDs. Caution: don't spend any of that money until you have the finished edit and master copy to burn. If something should go wrong and you can't finish the project, you will have to return the money.

As you shot, you will note that the actors will wash out at times. If the back ground is black, it happens often on mid shots. Try and stay tight on the actors if this happens, or you will be forced to drop back on the wide angle, full stage shot. The cameras average the light levels and tend to open the iris in black or dim scenes, thus burning out the features in the faces of the actors. If your in tight, this happens less as there are more flesh tones and other things to fill the frame. Make sure ALL the cameras are on the same format. Standard or wide. I would go for wide here.

I know I'm sound bossy, but trust me on this one. I've done enough shows to know where with I talk about.
I will chime in more when I have some time, which probably won't be until Sunday evening, but keep up with this. I will make myself available for 1-3 performances next week, but get a jump on it this weekend if you can. At least get the wide stage audience view Tom talked about as your default go-to. Remember if you can tap into or otherwise get a recording through the RRT audio system, do it. It should greatly increase sound quality over the in-camera mics.

Again if you guys (Jason, Matt, other?) want to borrow my tripod, let me know. I only have tonight to get it to someone. I am out of town right after work tomorrow.

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com
Just trying to catch up...

Jason and I went down to the Ragland today, met with Chip Massie, scoped out the facility and formed a plan. He will try to shoot some this weekend and I will try to make myself available for 1-3 performances next week.

(08-08-2012, 08:33 AM)Wayne Sweat Wrote: Of equal importance is does anyone have editing software and the knowledge of how to use it, I don't?

Jason has Final Cut, so it will be on him to edit.

(08-08-2012, 09:06 AM)Wayne Sweat Wrote: we need a camera person to follow the action if it's all to be seen.

We will do the best we can. We have a plan to get some good footage. We will see how it plays out.

The fundraising prospect of this is a good idea. Let's see that we get it shot well enough first, and go from there. This is a good opportunity to build experience and connections as well as possibly raise funds.

(08-08-2012, 12:42 PM)Jason_Boese Wrote: Jesse is a professional photographer, so he could do some shoots for the cast and crew who want them, but he is hard pressed for time, so I do not know if we would want to put that much time into taking photos for the players.

Right-o. I could do it...with better notice, planning and less on my plate, but I have other responsibilities taking my time right now. Besides, I'd like to keep our endeavor here simple to start. Let's focus on getting the video done properly.

(08-08-2012, 10:54 PM)tcooley Wrote: As you shot, you will note that the actors will wash out at times. If the back ground is black, it happens often on mid shots. Try and stay tight on the actors if this happens, or you will be forced to drop back on the wide angle, full stage shot. The cameras average the light levels and tend to open the iris in black or dim scenes, thus burning out the features in the faces of the actors. If your in tight, this happens less as there are more flesh tones and other things to fill the frame.

Most, if not all, camcorders have an exposure lock setting...somewhere...which prevents this automatic exposure adjustment. It may be worth switching it on if this is a problem. I will relay such to Jason.

...and Matt, if you are still interested and available, Jason could use a hand. He has a second camera but we'd also like to know if you have one which saves video on an SD card?

Jesse Widener
Show times are as follows:

Friday August 10 (tomorrow) 7:30pm
Saturday August 11 7:30pm
Sunday August 12 2:00pm

Thursday August 16 7:30pm
Friday August 17 7:30pm
Saturday August 18 7:30pm
Sunday August 19 2:00pm

Jesse Widener
(08-07-2012, 08:45 PM)tcooley Wrote: This should not be a Linkville production as stated but a Ross Ragland Theater Production. Check on that. They are two different theaters.

Thank you, Tom. I had the idea this was a production put on by the Linkville Theater group and put on at the Ragland. I changed my initial wording.

Jesse Widener
Jason has contacted me, unfortunately I don't have access to any video equipment.
Not a problem. He/we could still use a second camera operator if you're available. Plus you get to see the show for free.

Jesse Widener
I have two cameras we could use, Matt, so if you are up for it, you can man a camera. I am getting tapes ready now.
Ban reason: Continued bashing of others only hinders you. Please just make films! (Permanent)