Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filming of 'Footloose' at the Ragland
First night of shooting for me. A few notes/observations:

1. Tight closeups, etc. are not really possible with a show like this unless we are truly shooting several cameras the same night at the same time. With so much continuous audio (mostly the music segments) we could not edit in and out of those shots with shots from other performances where the differences in performances are obvious. It's one thing to cut to a shot from a different performance when an actor finishes a sentence and before another starts up, but while music is playing, impossible to get a clean edit or "jump" from one shot to the next...again unless we were shooting multiple cameras and had it planned out.

2. Due to #1, I took some long still, panning, zoom shots. I think I struggled in the first half getting a feel for the right balance of just enough dynamic motion to not be dull, but not so much it's distracting or nauseating. The second half I did well, and I will be at two more performances to pick up the first half again.

3. Being my first time at the show, I missed some shots because I didn't know where the action would take place. 2nd and 3rd shows will fill in the gaps, now that I know.

4. I got just under 2 hours for the performance, so dual layer discs may not be necessary.

5. Chip made up a list for people interested in the discs and his list with 26 lines filled up quickly! We should have a good return on this to put toward our tax exempt status.

6. I talked briefly with Chip on wider topics and he believes our various filing fees are a one time thing which do not need to be renewed annually. I was under a different impression and will look into it, but if he is correct....great!!!

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com
There are a lot of excited people at the Ross. This project that you gentlemen have undertaken has caused quite a stir. Thank you.
Thank you for bringing it to our attention. This is the kind of thing KFMG should be doing. It's good experience for the Group, it's good for the community, and it helps support KFMG financially. All good fundraising ideas aside, it makes the most sense and is most practical for us to raise funds doing something the Group was established to do in the first place...and to give its members something to do in the field of interest they signed up for rather than wash cars or bake cookies. Wink

Jesse Widener
I apologize for my earlier negative comments. You guys should be commended.
I have been following your conversations from afar. You guys are learning!!!

Jesse, be careful about the hand delivery of the finished show. You may have a LOT of traveling to do. Some folks in Ragland shows can live 40+ miles out of town. I never did that. I mailed them or when they signed up to get them, told them I would be at Denny's from Noon to 2PM on Saturdays. (Give them the dates) That way they would come to me. Set that up for two weeks in a row, THEN the ones that don't pick up, take yourself or mail them. Make a little stand up tent sign that reads, "FOOTLOOSE" second line “DVD Pick Ups“ and put it on the end of the table. I suggest you ask for one of the booths along the west side of Denny's, that way folks can see you easily and you can watch the parking lot through the windows and folks can see you as they come in. That's just a suggestion of course. When they sign up, give them a slip of paper with the dates they can pick them up.

$8 is a wired price, you’ll have to have a bunch of 1’s when they sign up and buy. $10 would be so much easier. But if you’ve already told them $8, then there you are.

OH! OH! DON’T MISS OUT ON THIS OPERTUNITY!!! Have a small hand out to give them when the sign up, or pick up the DVD’s that talks about KFMG. What it’s about, who can join, where and when you meet. Contact info. Etcetera… This can be a chance to pick up some new blood for the group. At least, get their names for future projects, both in front or behind the camera.

One other thing. At the total end of the run. Have some one go out to the lobby and grab a bunch of the programs. Why you ask? Put one program in with the finished DVD. (Yea I know, they don’t fit in the cases.) It’s kind of cool to get the program with the finished DVD. It rounds out the package for them and it’s no cost to you. You’d be surprised how many of the cast and crew forgot to grab a program for themselves and when you give them one, they get excited.

Keep up the good work. I still wish I could be there to help.
(08-17-2012, 07:07 AM)Wayne Sweat Wrote: I apologize for my earlier negative comments. You guys should be commended.

Wayne, I don't see anyone in this group as overtly negative. There are those of us who are frustrated at times by certain aspects of the group, but only out of passion and interest, which is fine.

(08-17-2012, 09:27 AM)tcooley Wrote: Jesse, be careful about the hand delivery of the finished show. You may have a LOT of traveling to do. Some folks in Ragland shows can live 40+ miles out of town.

If that ends up being the case, I would mail out of towners. That said, Chip suggested leaving them at the Chamber for pickup. I think that is a great idea and will take him up on it.

Quote:$8 is a wired price, you’ll have to have a bunch of 1’s when they sign up and buy. $10 would be so much easier. But if you’ve already told them $8, then there you are.

$8 felt right to me, all things considered. We will see how it goes. We do have a checking account now, so we can accept $8 checks as well. Wink

Quote:OH! OH! DON’T MISS OUT ON THIS OPERTUNITY!!! Have a small hand out to give them when the sign up, or pick up the DVD’s that talks about KFMG. What it’s about, who can join, where and when you meet. Contact info. Etcetera… This can be a chance to pick up some new blood for the group. At least, get their names for future projects, both in front or behind the camera.

Great idea. I will insert it in the DVD packaging.

Quote:One other thing. At the total end of the run. Have some one go out to the lobby and grab a bunch of the programs. Why you ask? Put one program in with the finished DVD.

Already planned. Wink Will do.

Jesse Widener
Jesse,
In regards to last night's message. Chip is taking money and there's a signup sheet you should see. Look at both sides of the page. I estimate that at least 30 people so far that have signed up to purchase KFMG's DVD!
I'll look at the sheet again too. If anything if illegible, I'll try to clean it up.
It's exciting to see you guys there. I hope that you're having fun.
Performing in the play Footloose, at the Ross Ragland Theatre has been an amazing experience. As you guys know, this is my first play and after tomorrow's matinee performance, my first acting engagement that has gone full cycle. I decided to audition for the play to discover for myself whether or not I could really act. Although we shot quite a few scenes for The Demon of Black Death movie, the only footage that I can view is the trailer on YouTube. There's too little there to see what I did during the course of the production. Too little there to see what I'm capable of. Nothing there that I could use in a portfolio. This show gave me a lot of opportunities to see what I could do, and thanx to Jason, Matt, Jesse & Tom I'll have footage to use. All of the KFMG members involved in this production understand that the shots taken, lighting, etc. for a play is going to produce a product that won't have the close-ups or camera angles that could be shot in a movie. But every one of the actors, directors, the band, the crew, etc. will be able to gage their performances from the video. But more importantly, you've captured a moment in time that I and perhaps others will always treasure. Whether or not I ever acted again, I'll have this DVD that captured, that encapsulated this experience, these memories.

FYI. My mom's in Plumb Ridge (nursing home) recovering and should return home soon. She was unable to attend any of the live performances at the Ross. The first Friday after my mom get's home I've planned a movie night at my Mom & Dad's house with all of the family, popcorn, you get the picture. This DVD & the others will be viewed many times, maybe for many, many years. I'll show it to my grand kids. I wonder how many of the teenagers that are in the play will do the same. And as I posted earlier, I know of at least one person that's planning on using a clip(s) for her portfolio... This is a very good thing that you guys are doing. Thank you.
A good night of shooting tonight. Filled in much of the early scenes I struggled with the other night, moved the camera to the other side of the audience and shot the second half from that vantage, zooming in when I could to provide some semi-closeups to intersperse with the wider shots I took previously. One more show to go.

Jesse Widener
40+ people have signed up for DVDs so far... Out of a cast & crew of about 50.