Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filming of 'Footloose' at the Ragland
That is great to hear, Wayne.

We can quibble about what we should charge for the DVD package, but ultimately a project like this isn't solely for our own benefit or gain. We are being asked to provide a product and a service to the cast & crew, and if we had priced them out of the hands of most of the Footloose crew, we wouldn't be fulfilling our end of the bargain. I am glad the pricing is able to get this into the hands of the bulk of the crew.

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com
Those tidbits are pretty cool, Wayne. Namely the usage of clips for a portfolio and the amount of people who have signed up. This bodes well, I feel. I should finish editing towards the end of this month but I may be working on my externship quite a while every day, so do not hold me on that. I will get the editing done, do not worry, but I have other obligations. Will we still be charging $8 per disc?

I hope we can continue doing projects like this in the future. It would be good for our group. Also, Jesse, did you inquire further about the tax exempt status and whether we have to pay $400 annually or just once? I am curious.
Ban reason: Continued bashing of others only hinders you. Please just make films! (Permanent)
$8 is the final price, and we have over 40 prepays thus far.

I have not taken a look at the annual versus one-time filing fee yet, but I will.

I did, however, talk to the Director of the Ragland briefly about KFMG and using the Ragland as a venue for the film festival. I asked if he could make our next meeting on the 27th to discuss it and he said probably, but to remind him closer to the time.

Jesse Widener
Posts about renting KFMG equipment moved to a new thread:

http://klamathfilm.org/forums/showthread...00&pid=665

KFMG Admin
Jesse, did you inquire further about the tax exempt status fee?

Also, how went the shoot? Did you get enough dynamic and still shots for me to edit with?
Ban reason: Continued bashing of others only hinders you. Please just make films! (Permanent)
Sounds like this project is going great, I'd offer to help but I'm going to be out of town until September 10th. I hesitate to mention this as it seems like it might be a bit nitpicky and I doubt anyone would complain, but from a legal standpoint are we allowed to include the programs in the DVD's that we're selling? At the very least it seems like something that we should ask someone at the Ragland about.
Jason, do you want the two original DVD's that Matt shot, the compilation DVD, emailed clips? They're double layers disks so I had to record 4 times to get all of the footage on the compilation DVD(my first time recording DL DVD')s.
(08-22-2012, 06:59 PM)Jason_Boese Wrote: Jesse, did you inquire further about the tax exempt status fee?

Also, how went the shoot? Did you get enough dynamic and still shots for me to edit with?

I have e-mailed the IRS about the fee. I will update in the appropriate thread when I hear back. I don't want to turn this thread into the second tax-exempt status thread.

Shooting went fine. I will go over it with you whenever I drop off your camera and you are ready to edit.

(08-23-2012, 01:38 AM)Matt Roemer Wrote: I hesitate to mention this as it seems like it might be a bit nitpicky and I doubt anyone would complain, but from a legal standpoint are we allowed to include the programs in the DVD's that we're selling?

Matt, that is a valid question and I considered the same when it was suggested. I think the easiest answer is to consider it as though we are providing the DVDs, and just throwing in the programs for those who might not have gotten one (and it will actually be the 1 sheet flier as I couldn't find enough programs). I even thought about inserting the fliers in the jacket or perhaps photocopying them as a cover. If I photocopy them, I will definitely contact Chip Massie or the Ragland.

P.S. Check out the new homepage redesign (http://www.klamathfilm.org) and tell anyone who might be interested. It is now the easiest way to get the latest news and a glance at the latest forum discussion all at once. Supremely better than Facebook now. Bookmark it. As this is an off-topic comment, respond to the website updates thread if you have any questions, comments or suggestions.

Jesse Widener
Years ago, Charles Cossey, who was the producer for many of the Ragland's production, was the first person to suggest that programs be included with the DVD packages. If you don't have enough, quickly contact the theatre to see if they have any left. As to giving them away with the DVD I don't see the problem. They would just end up in the trash if not used.
I agree entirely from a practicality standpoint and I don't believe the Ragland would have any issue with it. However, from a technicality standpoint, everything is copyrighted, including the design of the fliers/programs themselves as well as the title of 'Footloose' itself and rights to the use of the names of the writers/adapters, etc. I don't know exactly the extent of the Ragland's rights to the 'Footloose' name, production, use, etc. Again, if I am just handing fliers/programs back to those who didn't get them, I am not concerned. If I am photocopying them into a cover for the DVD, I will verify with the Ragland/Chip.

I looked for extra programs at 2-3 performances, both in the lobby and backstage, as well as asked Chip for more. What I got was all that could be found. I am not stressing it.

Jesse Widener