Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filming of 'Footloose' at the Ragland
Understood. Life happens. Smile

This is why I've said the idea of making films, commercials, etc. is great, but we have an equipment shortage which causes us to lean too much on one person or piece of equipment. It's a chicken and egg situation, but getting Final Cut would allow me to take over the editing, on a faster computer, finish the project and put us in position to get our 501c status....and acquire the funds to get said equipment in our hands. We are so close to getting our goal I want to pop us out of the chicken and egg scenario we've been mired in.

How does one transcend the chicken and egg paradox? Just buy a chicken.

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com
This may be moot...There is a 30-day free trial of Final Cut X. I will download it and have a look.

Jesse Widener
(09-04-2012, 06:31 PM)Matt Roemer Wrote: I vote yes/support this. I'm not going to be back in Klamath until the 13th but if there's anything I can do to help with this let me know.

Yes too!
I am currently editing with the 30-day free trial. My goal is to have at least a complete rough edit by the end of next week, and polish it the week thereafter. I will keep the Group apprised.

Jesse Widener
Thanx Jesse!
First 30 minutes or ~25% of rough edit complete.

Jesse Widener
Interesting...the band may have been using a click track because at least one music segment from one performance is essentially perfectly in sync with one from another performance. Hmmm. Could have some additional editing options when I get to the final cut...no pun intended.

45 minutes or ~40% of the rough edit complete.

Jesse Widener
65 minutes or ~55% of the rough edit complete.

The plan is to complete the rough edit by the weekend, burn it to a DVD to see how it looks...if all is well, order discs, cases, etc. and polish the edit for a final cut while waiting for supplies to arrive, then produce/package everything...hopefully by the end of next week.

Jesse Widener
The rough edit is 60% complete. Blank DVDs, cases, etc. have been ordered.

I plan to finish the rough edit this weekend and have the finished edit complete during next week while I wait for the blank DVDs, etc. to arrive...then it is a matter of burning the DVDs, assembling the packages and getting them to Chip Massie at the Chamber of Commerce.

A screenshot from the edit is attached. The preview window shows a dance number at 'Bobs Bar-B-Que' but the sequence in the lower window is from about 50min-60min in the timeline. About 10 clips/camera edits can be seen in that span. The green area is audio separated from the video track in order to make a more advanced edit for a smoother cut between shots.

Jesse Widener

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Rough edit ~70% complete.

Some insight to those interested, about issues outside our control which require time to address in the editing process as well as a discerning eye/ear to sort them out...

Actors/actresses don't always stand in the same positions relative to themselves or the set from performance to performance, lines are occasionally flubbed or delivered differently (in one instance the same line was flubbed in 2 of the 3 primary performances I am editing from), wardrobe inconsistencies pop up ('Ariel's' boots are sometimes outside her pants leg, sometimes under the cuff...'Willard' wears a different shirt in one of the primary editing performances than the other two during the 'Momma Says' number...that particular performance must then be automatically axed as it would be silly to see him wearing a different shirt each time the camera shifts).

In a similar vein, in one scene the preacher was holding a Bible. In another performance of the same scene, he was not. One whole performance can't be used. In an exchange between Ren and his mother, between 3 performances, sometimes Ren is holding his Bible, sometimes his mother is, and sometimes his mother has it in her right hand....and then left hand. Audio problems (music versus vocals volume mix different from performance to performance, 'hot mics' or 'feedback'...2 of the 3 primary performances had the mic hum, buzz and drown out the dialogue in the same place...audience member noise...at least two performances had loud coughing every couple minutes through a scene...) etc.

The editing process takes time for this and many other reasons, to get a solid continuous viewing. Still moving along though and expect to have the rough edit done by the end of the weekend.

Jesse Widener