Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filming of 'Footloose' at the Ragland
Rough edit ~85% complete.

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure design studio - www.artandstructure.com
Rough edit complete. In some ways I was able to enhance the performance. For instance, there is a major dramatic scene in which one character interrupts another, but in every performance there was a lag between the first actor saying their line and the second actor speaking up. A little audio/video manipulation and it is tightened up to have the effect it was intended to have.

There are more than 100 cuts/edits throughout. That is the big job. Now I burn it to a DVD to test and review, then polish some cuts, transitions, etc. put in titles/credits and it's good for the final while I await DVD materials to arrive to burn/assemble/package.

For its part, Final Cut X is/was tremendous. This is my first time using an editor beyond iMovie (and that I only used on The Bridge and one other project...my only video editing experience). In Final Cut, the software is as transparent as could be...no hunting for "how to do this" and no worries about things going wrong. Complex edits stay synced/aligned no matter how much you move them around. Cutting/trimming/inserting/etc. is intuitive and a piece of cake and all with real-time playback scrubbing the cursor over any video either in the edit itself or the clips in one's library. Keyboard shortcuts are great, there is still so much to learn about it...it is quite deep...but being a "novice" to the software didn't trip me up in making use of it almost instantaneously.

Jesse Widener
This is exciting! I may wear out the DVD the first weekend watching it so much, lol.
The rough edit DVD burned fine save for a minor glitch and I watched it through, taking notes for additional changes. 20+ items I want to address to polish it more. Wink

Jesse Widener
The final edit is complete, titles are in and I am now working on credits...which may take a while...there are a lot of names.

DVD cases arrived in the mail today. Still awaiting blank DVDs and labels. I also still need to make a cover slip for the DVD cases.

Jesse Widener
The rest of the supplies arrived today. I have already completed assembling cases, jacket, etc. (side note: every artist, and this group itself, should have a paper cutter. I have one and it makes mass producing this stuff much easier/faster).

I am creating a "disc image" of the final video in Final Cut. I will try to add chapters somehow as Final Cut no longer does this; it is handed off to another application by Apple now. Once I review the DVD video to burn, I have to burn/duplicate 45 copies. At least I have two computers to carry the load...speaking of which, Final Cut can network with other computers to process video/effects/etc. faster. I haven't tried it out myself so I have no comment on it.

Jesse Widener...looking at a stack of 45 Footloose DVD cases
Wow! That's a lot of work. Can I help making copies with my Windows laptop?
Can I help in any way?
Thank you for the offer Wayne. Once I get one master disc burned, I should be able to burn copies at less than 10 minutes each, or 12 an hour with my 2 computers...and it can burn in the background while I do other work. I think the time to get together with you and open any possible technical difficulties would be a wash at best...and I don't want to risk pulling my hair out. Smile

Jesse Widener
I understand completely.
Would it be possible for me to buy two more copies of the DVD?